Ebola outbreak: Frontier jet made 5 flights before being taken out of service

US-based Frontier Airlines said Wednesday it thoroughly cleaned a plane that carried a Dallas health care worker the day before an Ebola diagnosis.
杭州龙凤

Denver-based Frontier issued a statement in response to news that the unidentified health care worker flew Monday on Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth with 132 passengers.

Ebola front line hard to walk away from for Cook Hill Red Cross nurse Libby Bowell

The airline said it is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to contact all the passengers on the flight.

The passenger “exhibited no symptoms or sign of illness while on Flight 1143, according to the crew,” Frontier said.

The Airbus A320 that carried the health care worker was put away for the night on Monday after it carried the woman from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth. But Tuesday morning the plane was flown back to Cleveland and then to Fort Lauderdale, back to Cleveland and then to Atlanta and finally back again to Cleveland, according to Daniel Baker, the chief executive of the flight monitoring siteFlightaware杭州龙凤论坛m.

He said his data does not include any passenger manifests, so he cannot tell how many total passengers flew on the plane Tuesday.

In a statement, Frontier Airlines said the plane was taken out of service on Tuesday after the carrier was notified by the CDC that the aircraft had carried an Ebola patient.

The health care worker also had flown to Cleveland from Dallas three days earlier on Frontier Flight 1142, the airline reported.

In response to the news that another Ebola patient flew on a commercial flight, the union that represents 60,000 flight attendants on 19 airlines is asking the CDC to monitor and care for the four flight attendants who were on flight from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth.

The Association of Flight Attendants “will continue to press that crew members are regularly monitored and provided with any additional resources that may be required,” the group said.

The Ebola scare prompted the union last week to call for better measures to protect flight attendants from exposure to the deadly disease.

The group’s international president, Sara Nelson, suggested that flight attendants are being asked to do too much in the fight against Ebola.

“We are not, however, professional health care providers and our members have neither the extensive training nor the specialised personal protective equipment required for handling an Ebola patient,” she said in a statement.

Earlier this month, United Airlines was rushing to contact passengers who flew on two flights that carried a Liberian man infected with Ebola from Brussels to Washington, DC, and then to Dallas.

The Ebola-stricken health care worker who flew on Frontier had been treating the Liberian man, Thomas Eric Duncan, who has since died.

Airline-industry stock prices have taken a beating in recent weeks, with some analysts blaming the Ebola scare.

On Wednesday, stocks of Delta Air Lines and American Airlinesfell more than 6 per cent in early trading before partially recovering. With less than 90 minutes remaining in the regular trading session, the two stocks were each down about 2 percent from Tuesday’s closes. Frontier is privately held.

iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 details leaked … by Apple

Leaked: features of the soon-to-be-announced iPads include a Touch ID sensor Photo: 9to5Mac Further screens reveal the iPad Air 2 can take images in burst mode. Photo: 9to5Mac
杭州龙凤

An apparent error on Apple’s part has prematurely detailed a new line of iPads ahead of the company’s unveiling event Friday, with images of the devices appearing in the iTunes store.

Named iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3, the images confirm that the pair of tablets will include a Touch ID sensor integrated into the home button, but that their design will largely remain unchanged.

An image of the iPad Air 2 also indicates it will be capable of taking images in burst mode, a feature included in the iPhone since the 5s model.

The details appeared in screenshots for a guide to iOS 8.1, the operating system upgrade which is also expected to be unveiled Friday. The premature screens were live in the iTunes store for around an hour after they were first picked up and published on 9to5Mac. Apple then appeared to have removed them but the guide still showed images detailing iOS 8 at time of writing.

The leak follows a long tradition of Apple device details emerging before release, although the apparent leaker is rarely so directly associated with the company. The details come at an uncannily inopportune time for rival Google, which today announced its latest operating system, Android 5.0 Lollipop, as well as a range of devices that will be in direct competition with Apple’s iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and Apple TV.

Beyond the all-but-confirmed inclusion of Touch ID and the return of a numbered naming convention for iPads, the tablets are widely expected to include a faster A8X processor, an anti-glare screen and the option of a gold case. Announcements at Friday’s event are also rumoured to include the launch of OS X Yosemite and new iMacs.

Top five weirdest TV series showcased at Mipcom

Chasing flies around a padded cell? Watching toilet tubes sing? The state of television is parlous enough, but with a slew of strange and seemingly ridiculous formats on show at the annual Mipcom market, you can only wonder how far we are from watching paint dry.
杭州龙凤

Mipcom – or, more formally, Marche International des Programmes de Communication – is television’s giant European shopping mall. In physical terms it’s like the Easter Show: pavilions, showbags and a myriad of sideshow alleys.

But in business terms it’s a crucible in which billions of dollars worth of TV deals are done. Many are for quite substantial things: the Idols, the X Factors and a slew of inventive, original scripted programming. But somewhere in the swirl of madness are some of the most truly ridiculous TV shows you will ever find.

Which brings us, as the market closes for another year, to the dishonour roll: the weird, wonderful highlights of the back alleys of the market.

Man vs Fly

Exactly as it sounds, this reality format puts a man inside a padded room with a fly so the audience can watch them quietly go bonkers attempting to swat it. There is a UK version in development with expert commentary provided by Australian “competitive fly swatting champion” Pat Cowell. It will feature celebrities, such as Pineapple Dance Studios’ Louie Spence. Fortunately it’s short – the episodes are three minutes long. The series is backed by Sony Pictures Television.

Minimello

Described by its marketers as “The Voice with toilet rolls” this is Sweden’s answer to The Voice Kids, in which audience members fashion puppets out of cardboard inner tubes retrieved from used toilet rolls and send them into the show. They are then featured as either audience members or singers. The series launched in 2010 in Sweden and is, to be fair, pitched at kids. But it has become a hit, drawing more than 1 million votes every week in a country with a population of only 10 million people.

Release The Hounds

Fancy being chased through a dark woodland at night by ferocious dogs and, possibly, eaten to death? Welcome to a format billed as a “horror game show”. Three contestants begin each episode, tasked to make their way through a forest so they can unlock treasure chests. On their tail, a handful of set-up scares, including the eponymous releasing of “the hounds”. This also comes from Sony Pictures Television. A version airs on ITV2 in the UK.

Love Prison

Doesn’t that sound fun? From A&E Networks, this is Survivor meets The Bachelor with a prospective couple dumped in a remote location, and forced to cohabit in a small cabin which has been rigged with hidden cameras. It’s true romance meets going off the grid, intended to see how the couple survive in an extreme scenario.

Celebrity Pole Dancing

You’ve seen them dance, dive, get fit, get fat and sit, plonked on the Big Brother couch. But now you can see celebrities pole dance. One from the “you didn’t know you needed to until a small production company told you so” files, this is exactly what it sounds like: celebrities gyrating on poles, hoping to be declared the poliest pole dancer of them all. The show comes from Newen Network Distribution and Imagina Sales in the Netherlands.

In truth, there are thousands of formats on offer at Mipcom, and few crack the big time. An Australian version of Celebrity Pole Dancing is unlikely to surface anytime soon, though the Man vs Fly and Release The Hounds formats, despite being bizarre, did command some serious discussions in the bars and cafes of Cannes’ Boulevard de la Croisette.

Perhaps the most challenging aspect of Mipcom has been the emergence of scripted formats as genuinely hot properties in television. For the reality TV format buyers who have historically come to Cannes to outsource their research and development to smarter minds in Scandinavia, that’s been bad news all round. Everyone used to chase the “hot” reality format, but in truth each successive market yields fewer interesting options.

Scripted content, meanwhile, has become a hot property at the market.

Among the scripted series which seemed to make the most noise were the Swedish thriller 100 Code, from Red Arrow, which stars actors Dominic Monaghan and Michael Nyqvist as detectives from opposite sides of the world paired to tackle a murder investigation.

BBC Worldwide, meanwhile, unveiled The Refugees, a science-fiction thriller which tackles a widespread global issue in an extremely inventive way: 3 billion people flee an apocalyptic event in the Earth’s future by travelling back in time to our present.

And the new US drama Wayward Pines, from Fox International Channels, brought a touch of Hollywood to the market, with director/producer M. Night Shyamalan and actor Matt Dillon turning up to spruik their series about a secret service agent who finds himself trapped in a too-perfect small town which is nothing like it seems.

After four days, during which about 12,000 attendees trawlthrough content from some 1700 exhibitors, the Mipcom market effectively wraps up later today. As the last stragglers wander through the Palais des Festivals, many will leave with the market’s overarching theme on their minds: barriers between platforms and screens are breaking down rapidly.

“It isn’t about the size of the screen,” Anne Sweeney, the co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of the Disney ABC Television Group, said during her keynote speech. “Sometimes it’s about the experience. Sometimes that can be inspired by a relationship, and sometimes by your relationship to the content we’re giving you.”

One can only presume she hadn’t seen Man vs Fly.

The Block proves competition’s tough

SOME WIN, SOME LOSE: Contestants of The Block 2014. Set in Melbourne, the show may have proved that the housing market in that city is cooling.THE Block Glasshouse auction last Sunday night illustrated the highs and lows of renovating to sell.
杭州龙凤

Two contestant couples had a stunning result, selling hundreds of thousands of dollars above reserve, while the other three struggled to reach the reserve, eventually selling for just a tad over.

For the latter, it was a lot of hard work and a long time away from family and jobs for little result.

But as Scotty Cam said on the night – from The Block’s perspective – the show was a competition to win $100,000.

Anything more the couples took home above that was a bonus.

Three couples, though, were very disappointed – and understandably so.

I wonder if the reserves set on all of the apartments were a little optimistic. Watching each auction, it certainly appeared so.

Perhaps the take home is that the Melbourne property market is coming off the boil.

It will be interesting to see the location of the next Block in 2015.

Newy would be just perfect!

Are silent sales good?

IF you were selling your car, how would you go about marketing it? Would you give it to a dealer or sell it yourself?

Either way, would your marketing strategy aim to hit the widest target market, or would you adopt a narrow marketing strategy to save on costs?

It’s an interesting question vendors of property face every time they decide to sell.

If they are a supporter of a wider marketing campaign, encompassing database, web and print, their agent could actively steer towards a multi-platform strategy.

But if they are not, they could advocate what is called a “silent listing”.

What that means is that they only want to market towards their database clients and they may not even advocate signage.

This can be a good strategy if you have reasons for hiding that you are selling. Celebrities are a good example of people who go for silent sales. Also, people who are fearful of neighbours or the general public finding out their personal business.

This can sometimes be in times of stress, such as divorce or bankruptcy.

But generally, are silent listings a good idea?

One thing to consider is whether or not the agent’s database is as large as they claim, or if it is up to date with genuine, ready-to-buy, qualified buyers.

Managing large databases and keeping them current takes manpower, so it pays to ask the question: how current is your database and what strategies do you have in place to ensure buyers are still active?

Databases are constantly evolving so take careful note of their answer.

People buy, opt to drop out of the market for a while or even choose other locations to focus on. Hence agents need to be contacting prospective database clients at least weekly to ensure the database remains current.

Do the numbers. If the agency employs five agents and claims to have 2000 active database clients, that is 400 calls each a week.

How do they achieve that, given much of their week involves showing property for sale or chasing up details for sales that have already occurred and new listings?

So while a silent sale can sound like a good idea, the question always has to be: will a narrow marketing strategy achieve as good a result as a multi-platform approach?

The adage – “you can’t sell a secret” – is still relevant.

Gerard Vaughan named National Gallery of Australia director

Gerard Vaugan Photo: Josh Robenstone Gerard Vaughan will direct the NGA after a turbulant few years under Ron Radford. Photo: Josh Robenstone
杭州龙凤

Gerard Vaugan Photo: Josh Robenstone

Gerard Vaugan Photo: Josh Robenstone

Art historian Gerard Vaughan reflects on a changing MelbourneMystery surrounds NGA director appointmentOutgoing director Ron Radford on the Shiva scandalShiva scandal leads to calls for museum audits2011 profile of then NGV director Gerard Vaughan

New National Gallery of Australia director Gerard Vaughan says he wants to “draw a line under” the recent controversy over stolen antiquities that saw Prime Minister Tony Abbott personally hand back a statue to India last month.

The former National Gallery of Victoria director, whose three-year term at the Canberra institution will begin on November 10, said he wants to ensure the NGA will in future “do the right thing” regarding items such as the 11th-century Indian bronze sculpture, bought by the NGA for $US5 million in 2008.

Professor Vaughan said new protocols announced by federal Arts Minister Senator George Brandis this week will provide a clear and credible guide for all Australian collecting institutions.

“Certainly going forward, the NGA will do the right thing. It must, and according to that protocol,” Professor Vaughan said on Thursday soon after Senator Brandis officially announced his appointment (which was first reported several weeks ago by Fairfax Media).

The new collecting guidelines for museums and galleries, “notwithstanding the difficulties of the past in relation to the NGA”, put Australia in a very strong position and at the forefront in terms of global best practice for acquisitions, Professor Vaughan said.

Asked if the saga had damaged the gallery’s reputation, he said: “Of course. The NGA has come out itself and said it’s regrettable, that whole process.”

But he was determined that the gallery move on. “Now, it’s not – I can’t go back over the details – it’s not appropriate here, but there are some issues about the way things have been handled. But I would just say let’s look forward.”

Professor Vaughan said he was keen for the gallery to focus on art from the Asia-Pacific region and to engage in what he referred to as “cultural diplomacy”.

He laughed at the suggestion of any rivalry between his former employer and his new one (where the complaint about the Victorian institution referring to itself as a national gallery is oft repeated). “My problem is I’m changing horses, because I used to always have to defend the NGV’s position.”

He said it had been a “tongue in cheek sparring match” between directors of two institutions, but said he hoped they could continue to work together and share items from their collections for key exhibitions.

NGA  chairman Allan Myers, who worked with Professor Vaughan in an equivalent role at the NGV, said he would be an “outstanding” director. Mr Myers said there would be three key challenges for Professor Vaughan: pushing through stage two of the gallery’s expansion, dealing with the Shiva issue and dealing with the gallery’s tightened budget.

Professor Vaughan, who was born in Tasmania but has spent most of his life in Victoria, said he would miss Melbourne and its culture, but he had always been “intrigued” by Canberra and was excited at the move.

With Natasha Rudra, Canberra